Happy New Year! This is a great time to retrench, and confirm your commitment to a more sustainable way of life. So to get things started on the right foot, here are ten sustainable new year’s resolutions you may wish to consider:
- Grow at least some of your own food at home.
- Make sure food you do buy is sustainable, seasonal, local, and ideally organic. If you are a meat eater, consider eating it less often.
- Plant at least one tree, in your own garden or though a reforestation of afforestation project.
- Buy less and buy better – think about reuse and DIY options before buying new. And when you do buy, be aware of the true cost of each decision you make.
- Be aware of waste and move as close to zero waste as possible. Think not just about things like plastic waste but energy, water and other resources too.
- Make a commitment to conservation and land preservation. Donate time or money to worthwhile projects.
- Reach out to friends, neighbours or others to build a strong and resilient community wherever you live.
- Travel less, and over shorter distances. Choose slow travel solutions whenever you can.
- Learn new skills for a more sustainable way of life. Cooking from scratch, upcycling, sewing, woodworking etc…
- Use your voice and spread the word about sustainability.
As a sustainability consultant, I can help you to formulate a plan for you and your family. If you would like any help or advice, please do not hesitate to get in touch. I can answer specific questions you may have. I can design your permaculture garden. Or help you formulate a green living plan for the coming year based on your specific circumstances.
I hope to continue with you on this journey as we all continue to strive for a better world.