This concept design, which I completed late last year, outlines a holistic plan for a small farm on the island of Guimaras, in the Philippines. The plan will bring together work already completed on the property, to create a naturally harmonious ecosystem which meets human needs while nurturing the environment and boosting biodiversity on the site.
The site is approximately 8 ha. The highest point on the site is 127m above sea level. The northern portion of the site has level areas, and slopes which descend to the rice paddies.
Guimaras has a tropical monsoon season, with distinct wet and dry seasons. Winds from the southwest bring the rainy season between June and October, while winds from the northeast bring far lower precipitation from October onwards. Average annual rainfall totals around 2,000mm.
With the precipitation patterns, water management is a key feature of the design. Water retention during the wet season (and the slow release of water back to aquifers to prevent their depletion, along with dry season irrigation, are key.
The soils of Guimaras are typically richly fertile and productive Hapludalfs. This concept also focuses also on strategies which will help in building and maintaining the soil, generating biomass and creating healthy soil conditions, to create long-lasting, sustainable natural systems, and taking advantage of the fertile conditions.
- To create a comfortable and visually beautiful farm for the use of a small, sustainable community. (Retired couple, caretakers, workers, guests.)
- To grow food in abundance for those on the site, and for the surrounding community.
- To boost biodiversity, sequester carbon, and work in harmony with the natural world.
- To serve as a demonstration site, showing the potential of agroforestry, natural farming and permaculture design in the region.
- To collaborate with diverse stakeholders to drive positive environmental change. Partnerships with government, national and international agencies and the local community will be formed to provide benefits in all sectors.
Above you can see the concept plan for this site. Further details were, of course, submitted to the client. If you are interested in learning more about this project, or would like a design for your own property, please do get in touch.