Due to recent enquiries, I will be starting a 12 week email correspondence course ‘Start Your Own Organic Garden’. This is a simple, practical course designed to help beginners move to the point where they are ready to start their own organic food producing garden in the spring.
The course will run from January 4th to March 22nd. Each Monday, those who have signed up and paid for the course will receive an email with a course booklet with detailed information on the topic of that week’s module.
Modules will be as follows:
- Module 1: Principles, Planning and Practice
- Module 2: Knowing Your Site
- Module 3: Choosing a Growing Method – Introduction to Forest Gardening, Polyculture Annual Planting, Small space/ Container Growing. (From this point, the course syllabus will be tailored depending on which of these methods has been chosen.)
- Module 4: Design & Preparation – Creating Growing Areas
- Module 5: Water Management
- Module 6: Understanding Soil
- Module 7: Maintaining Fertility
- Module 8: Plant Selection
- Module 9: Planting and Sowing
- Module 10: Biodiversity and Organic Pest Control
- Module 11: Looking Forward – Future Planning
- Module 12: Maximising and Using Yields
Those taking the course will also receive a simple assignment, to be completed by Thursday, that will be returned with helpful comments the following week.
The course pricing is:
- Waged: £200
- Low-waged: £100
- Un-waged: £50
This will be on an honesty basis.
If you are interested in taking this course, please contact me through this website by 1st December. In order to be able to give my full attention to all students, there will only be a limited number of places available.
If you are considering starting your own organic garden for the first time, this course should give you the basic knowledge you need to succeed, and save you wading through all the information there is out there on your own.